Photo: Bojan Hohnjec Studio
From The Knot Pro Team: The National Bridal Sale Event is right around the corner so we turned to speaker and wedding industry expert Brian Lawrence (see his bio below) to share some helpful tips. Enjoy!
The National Bridal Sale Event (that time of the year with hundreds of locally owned bridal salons run sales on wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, mother of the bride dresses and more) is right around the corner beginning the third Saturday of July! Here, a list of five easy ways to capitalize on the event and promote your shop.
1. Use your network to help promote the event and your store.
Let all of your friends in the industry know that you’re participating in the National Bridal Store Event. They’ll want to know about it anyway because it means discounts on beautiful designer dresses. Not only that, but having that word-of-mouth referral is a valuable way of driving new customers to your door.
Take It Up A Notch: You could even offer an additional discount or gift to brides who were referred to you from other wedding pros to make it that much more worthwhile to both your industry friends and their clients.
2. Add the National Bridal Sale Event badge to your website.Make certain that each and every visitor to your website knows that you’ll be hosting the event. Add the National Bridal Sale Event badge to your site -- either to the home page or your news page. And if you have a blog, write up a post about the event to drum up excitement.
Take It Up A Notch: Take the opportunity to do some tech checks on your website. Make sure it’s 100% designed for the phone (the majority of couples are using their phone when planning). Simplify wherever possible to make it as clear to read and easy to navigate as possible.
3. Promote your event on social media and use the hashtags #ShopSmall and #BuyLocal.Social media channels are powerful ways to get the word out. #ShopSmall and #BuyLocal are not just hashtags -- they’re a movement that represent the change in ideology to support local and small businesses (you!).
Take It Up A Notch: Create a series of promotions for both Facebook and Instagram and then plan to promote your event every week or every other week until the big date. The key to successful social promos? Consistent branding (as in similar language and imagery) and regular frequency (be it once a week or once a month).
4. Make your event more than a sale, make it an experience.Offering refreshments, special discounts, giveaways, and drawings is a great way to get brides eager to show up. Be upfront about what you’re offering at the event on your website and social media listings to capitalize on the event.
Take It Up A Notch: If you want to take it a step further, get a designer (or two) involved to have a trunk show.
5. Consider tweaking your sales pitch for the event (read: urgency!)
Because it’s a one-time sale, you have the opportunity to use sales tactics that may be slightly different than ones that you normally use. With a sale, you may want to emphasize to your brides that the dramatic savings are there for a limited time.
Take it Up a Notch: Consider putting together a quick mini sales session with your bridal salon consultants ahead of time to make sure everyone is on the same page.
About the author: Brian Lawrence has owned and represented wedding businesses that have worked with over 10,000 wedding couples. Coupled with his experience as Vice President of a leading national wholesale wedding brand, he now channels his experience into successful digital marketing, web design, and consulting for hundreds of wedding vendors, e-commerce sites, and wholesale brands. Brian has spoken at dozens of conferences including Wedding MBA and is a prominent wedding industry author, columnist, and speaker. To learn more about Brian, visit BrianLawrence.com.