Having a professional bio is a great way to not only tell potential clients about your skills and experience, but to promote your brand and showcase your personality!
Writing a bio is no small task. Some of the biggest mistakes you can make with your bio are making it too wordy, boring, filled with meaningless business jargon or appear thrown together without taking your reader (and their interests) into account.
Here are the top 10 must-haves for your professional bio:
1. Introduce yourself immediately. Start off by telling clients who you are, what your title is and what you do.
2. Tell your story. Let clients know where you started and how you go to where you are today.
3. Establish your credentials. Give clients the confidence to do business with you by listing your degrees, years in the industry, accolades (such as The Knot Best of Weddings!) and more.
4. Share your hobbies. Get personal and share what you do in your spare time.
5. Include a photo. First impressions are important and having a professional-looking head shot can help you make a great first impression, build trust and show off your personality.
6. Showcase your expertise. Demonstrate that you are a leader in your industry--share websites or magazines (like The Knot!) that you have been featured in.
7. Use a conversational tone. Keep the tone professional, but don't get too formal--showcase your personality by breaking the rules a little bit and write as if you're having a conversation.
8. Add personality. Try to keep things fun by adding in some humor and witty metaphors.
9. Vary the length of sentences. Alternating between long and short sentences keeps things interesting for the reader, so mix it up.
10. Keep paragraphs short. Most importantly, keep things short, concise and to the point--your bio shouldn't be a novel!
In the wedding industry, a bio is the key to building trust with potential clients. Your potential clients are about to spend big bucks on one of the most important days of their life, so they want to know who they are working with, and that they can be trusted to make their day special. So get out your computer and start writing!