Carley Roney, Co-Founder of The Knot, kicked off Wedding MBA this year with the keynote opening session, in which she took attendees on a fun-filled journey through the past few decades, touching upon on the amazing trends, technological innovations, and cultural shifts that have rocked our industry. For those of you that weren't able to attend, here are some of the highlights of her session!
In order to truly know who your customers are today, you have to understand where they came from and what drives them. Over the past three decades, there have been three key changes that have affected had a major impact on our industry: wedding styles evolved, couples changed and technology advanced. Today’s brides and grooms are mobile, on-the-go and always connected. They’re using technology for almost everything they do and yet, the same back-to-basics principles remain the same for how we can engage with them: emotional connection, trust and professional service.
Here are the top 5 things you need to know right now about your customers, and how to keep up with the nearlyweds of today:
- Share your “why”: Millennials care. They care about the “whys,” and they value authenticity and are cause-driven. Share with them WHY you do what you do, WHAT you’re passionate about, and WHAT you stand for. They care just as much about who you are as a professional as who you are as a person.
- Get visual: Photo sharing is explosive right now and millennials are a very visual generation--with more than $500MM photos uploaded and shared everyday! Stream videos, post photos and highlight interactive features of your website. Help them imagine their wedding day with your company’s services.
- Drive engagement: Start talking to them, and get them to start talking to you. How can you do that? Go beyond Facebook. Millennial shoppers are increasingly looking beyond Facebook and turning to other social media channels when making purchase decisions or sharing their thoughts on a brand. Make sure you have a presence on other social media outlets, such as Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and blogging.
- Be social: How do you create a 2-way conversation with your potential customers? Update your website often, and be consistent with your messaging. Leave comments and ask for feedback through your online presence. Remember, millennials want to have a say and are generous with feedback. You can take this opportunity to improve your brand, products, and services through them while also making them your customers and marketers–if they trust you and like your work, they’ll share their feedback with their network and that will grow your business.
- Stay connected: Millenials are doing so much more on their smartphones, including looking for you and looking at your website and social media presence. So, make sure your website is mobile-optimized so it can be seen on a mobile device! Also, take the opportunity to be more flexible with your forms of communication–send more emails and try texting with potential customers or customers. And don’t forget…millennials want instant gratification! In a recent study, it was found that responding to a potential client within 5 MINUTES can increase overall responses by 900 TIMES! So, having systems or tools in place to help speed up your response time will make a huge difference in getting you more business!
What do you do to keep up with the nearlyweds of today?